Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a crowd pleaser! Try and get uniform size mushrooms.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium mushrooms
- 8 ounces bulk sausage (try hot!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 scallions, finely slices
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese (prepackaged, burger-size slices)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the sausage, season salt, pepper, sage, and garlic; cook until nicely browned, about 7 minutes, total.
- While sausage is cooking, wash the mushrooms and leave slightly damp.
- Remove the stems, dice them and add them to the sausage for the final 2 minutes cooking time.
- Remove from heat, place in a large bowl, draining the excess fat if there is any, it depends on the sausage you choose.
- Add the cream cheese and scallions and mix well.
- Brush the mushroom caps on the outside with olive oil, this will keep them moist during cooking and they'll turn a lovely golden brown.
- Fill the mushroom caps to heaping with the sausage mixture, 1 1/2 2 teaspoons filling should do it, and place on a baking sheet.
- Cut the mozzarella slices into small pieces and place over each mushroom.
- Bake t 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.