Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Cooking Light April 2009.
Make and share this Sausage-Stuffed Manicotti recipe from Food.com.
- 10 uncooked manicotti
- cooking spray
- 1 lb sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and bell pepper to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Return pan to heat; bring to a boil. Cook 6 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat; stir in black pepper. Add 1/2 cup milk mixture to sausage mixture; stir well.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup sausage mixture into each manicotti; arrange manicotti in a single layer in a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle mozzarella over manicotti; spread remaining milk mixture evenly over mozzarella. Top milk mixture with pasta sauce, spreading to cover. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until bubbly.