Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
I wanted something different than chicken parmesan, so I added a sausage mixture to kick it up. This turned out to be a great hit in my family. Note to Self... do not use colored toothpicks ;)
Top Review by Love to Eat!!
Glad I was one of the ones who asked you to post this. As I always do, I tweak things...I used hot italian sausage, omitted the flour and used a shredded cheese blend .....FANTASTIC!!!!! Also, don't forget to pull out your toothpicks BEFORE adding the marinara. This is a crowd pleaser..thanks for posting.
- 4 boneless boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shreddred mozzarella cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) jar marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Split chicken breasts and pound with a meat mallet between sheets of plastic wrap. Do not make too thin. to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Break up sausage and mix with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, chili powder and mustard, minced garlic and chopped onion. Shape sausage mixture into 4 link shapes.
- Add water and egg to make an egg wash.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Drizzle Olive Oil in an oven safe skillet.
- Brush one side of each breast with egg wash. Place 1 sausage link on egg glaze. Roll up and secure with toothpick.
- Roll each breast in flour; dip in remaining beaten egg; roll in breadcrumbs. Place in oven safe skillet. Bake 45 minutes.
- Very Important, remember where your toothpicks are. I place the chicken a certain way in the pan, so I know where they are to remove.
- Pour Marinara over chicken, Sprinkle with Cheese add oregano on top and cook another 10-12 minutes until cheese has melted.