Prep 5 mins
Cook 21 mins
These are an old favorite, try using a combination of lean ground beef or turkey with the sausage, it comes out really good to.
- 6 medium green bell peppers
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- sliced green onion
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice off tops from peppers or cut in half.
- Scrape out the centers to remove seeds and membranes.
- Combine all remaining ingredients except green onion in a medium bowl.
- Mix well.
- Evenly stuff peppers with sausage mixture.
- Place in a lightly greased deep 3 quart casserole dish.
- Bake; covered for 20 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 5 to 10 minutes more or until peppers are fork tender and filling is set.
- Garnish with sliced green onion.
- Serve hot.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
A complete disaster. I followed the recipe EXACTLY as it appears and the following happened: 1.) the rice was not done after the 30 minute baking time - in fact, I covered it back up and baked for another 30 minutes - the rice NEVER got done; 2.) the "mixture", even after cooking for 60 minutes, was more like a soup. I recommend you steer clear of this recipe unless you like sausage soup with half-done rice.
I used quick cooking rice and the rice was cooked, also I added cheese to the mixture an ok meal not to my tastes but my DW loved it.
I think there is an error maybe if all the ingredients were mixed apart from the tomato paste, and used to stuff the peppers and then the tomato paste poured over the top of the peppers and then cooked for maybe a little longer than stated this recipe should turn out fine.