Sausage Stuffed Artichokes With Aioli
- To prepare the artichokes: Fill a large pot with water and add the 2 tablespoons salt and the lemon halves. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the artichokes, cover, and cook for 35 minutes. A large leaf should come off when gently pulled. Set aside and let cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, halve the artichokes down the middle lengthwise. With a spoon or melon baller, carefully scoop out the choke and prickly thorns. Drizzle oil on both the insides and outside leaves of the artichokes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To prepare the sausage stuffing: Combine the bread crumbs, garlic, mint, cheese, cooked onion and sausage in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with oil to moisten until the stuffing binds together; season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the artichokes, cut side down, on the hot grill. Cook for 3 minutes and then turn gently with tongs. Grill the other side for 2 minutes. Spoon the stuffing into the cavities of the artichokes. Drizzle with a little more oil. Place the artichokes in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned. In the meantime, make the aioli.
- To prepare the aioli: In a blender, combine the egg yolks, garlic, capers, red pepper flakes and lemon; season with salt and pepper. Blend on medium-high speed and very slowly pour the oil through the pouring hole. If the aioli is too thick, add water. Refrigerate while grilling.
- To serve: Put the stuffed artichokes on a platter with the aioli on the side for dipping.