Recipe by carolinamom
This recipe was adapted from a 1970's issue of Southern Living. The sausage and squash and parmesan cheese blend together to create a wonderful flavor. I use non-fat sour cream and a lowfat sausage to cut some calories. I usually serve this with a side dish of pasta, truly a good fall dinner and a family favorite.
Top Review by Claudia Dawn
This is the recipe I've been using for years. I love the richness that the sour cream & parmesan add. I reduce the overall cooking time by cooking the squash in the microwave; then finishing it off after stuffing in the oven.
- 2 acorn squash, half & remove seeds
- 1 lb sausage
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 -5 medium mushrooms, diced
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut squash in halves, remove seeds, place cut side down in 13 x 9 baking dish filled with 1 inch or so of water,bake until squash is tender, about 40 minutes. The squash can also be microwaved until tender,approx 15 minutes.
- While squash is baking, crumble sausage along with onions,celery, and mushrooms and fry until sausage is browned.
- Drain fat.
- Mix together egg, sour cream and parmesan cheese, stir together with sausage mixture.
- Scoop mixture into acorn halves, place back in oven, bake 20 minutes.