Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I adapted this recipe from Hormel Foods website. It makes a great fall dinner. It's great served with Southern Pride Sweet Cornbread Southern Pride Sweet Cornbread.
- 10 ounces pork sausage, ground
- 2 small acorn squash, cut in half with seeds and strings removed
- 1⁄2 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium granny smith apple, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Microwave Squash, cut side down in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup water for 6 minutes.
- As Squash is cooking, saute sausage in skillet over medium heat, making sure to break up in small pieces as it cooks. Cook until golden brown (5-6 minutes).
- Remove sausage and set aside. Drain off fat.
- In the same pan, saute onion for 2 minutes, add diced apple and stir. Add 1/2 cup water, cover and cook 2 minutes. Add 2 T. brown sugar, stir until dissolved and add cooked sausage. Continue to stir for about 2 minutes, until most of the liquid evaporates.
- If you like walnuts, toss them in with the sausage mixture.
- Turn the squash over. Fill each squash half with the sausage mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 18 minutes or until heated through.