Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Acorn squash stuffed with sausage, spinach, dried cranberries and stuffing. Ready in less than 30 minutes. I modified this recipe from Simply Delicious.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 lb spicy bulk sausage
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup fresh Baby Spinach, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups herb seasoned stuffing mix (crushed)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- Cut squash in half, remove seeds.
- Place squash cut side down in a microwave safe dish.
- Cover and microwave on high for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- Cook sausage and onion in a large skillet until sausage is no longer pink.
- Drain if needed.
- In a large bowl, beat egg and milk, stir in spinach, stuffing, cranberries and sausage mixture.
- Stuff squash with sausage mixture.
- Cover and microwave 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
This was good. I was a little ambivalent (sorry!) but the rest of the family thought it was just excellent, so I'm the minority anyway! I was a bit suspicious of the egg - I was worried it would turn out like an omelet in a squash, but you didn't really notice the egg in the end, it just made the stuffing fluffier. Thanks!
This turned out really well. I was a little nervous with just microwave cooking but you'd never guess it. I left out the onion and the spinach and used a stove top stuffing mix for pork since I thought that would go well with the sage sausage. My 3 and 5 year old devoured it and my husband went back for seconds! Thanks for posting such an easy recipe.
Excellent! We used spicy chicken sausage. The instructions should say to dig out the inside (stringy) part of the squash as well as the seeds - we had extra stuffing and if we had dug out that part it would have fit better. Very festive and impressive presentatation!