Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great taste without a lot of meat. Easy and low fat.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces hot Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth, defatted
- 1 1⁄2 lbs swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) canwhole tomatoes with juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces tubetti or 8 ounces small shell pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1⁄3 cup diced provolone cheese
- Heat Dutch oven over high heat, add sausage and cook stirring frequently about 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add broth, Swiss chard, fennel seeds, salt and red pepper.
- Cover and simmer 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally until chard is tender.
- Add tomatoes and beans to Dutch oven, stirring to break tomatoes with spoon.
- Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tubetti and provolone.
- TO DEFAT BROTH: Freeze broth for 30 minutes until fat solidifies on surface.
- Remove fat with slotted spoon.