Recipe by AmyZoe
This recipe is simple and flexible because you can substitute ingredients you have on hand, and it still turns out delicious. I didn't have dry white wine but substituted a bottle of beer. I didn't have enough potatoes so I added some cubed frozen hashbrowns. Surprisingly, I used half the onions (and I love onions), but maybe we just grow our onions bigger in Idaho. I also added a couple cups of white beans just for flavor and used linguica sausage instead of sweet Italian because it's what I had. I left the cheese out of the pot to add separately so there wasn't a cheese covered pot to clean. You could add zucchini or whatever vegetable you felt like if you didn't want to use green beans. I found this recipe on epicurious.com, and it is originally from Bon Appetit April 1991 by Joanie Moscoe of North Caldwell, New Jersey. Thank you Joanie for posting this easy and delicious stew! Serving size is estimated because it was not listed.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs veal or 1 1⁄2 lbs pork sausage
- 3⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 4 onions, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb boiling potato, peeled and cubed
- 16 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 10 ounces green beans
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat heavy 4 quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add sausages and cook until brown, turning occasionally.
- Transfer sausages to plate and cool slightly. Cut into 1" pieces.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of fat from saucepan.
- Add onions to saucepan and saute over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and garlic and continue cooking until bell peppers soften, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in wine and boil 1 minute.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, broth, and tomato paste.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in green beans, sausages, and herbs.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes.
- Add all cheeses and stir.