Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
This is great tasting and can be served as an appetizer or as a bread.
Top Review by BethHallKelley
Wonderful! I too used french bread recipe # 101476 which is fabulous. The reason I decided to make this is because of a pizza place in a mall in Gautier, MS., it is no longer there but they made the tastiest things, and they made something very similar. After I cooked the sausage I then slightly cooked about 1/2 of Belpepper and 1/2 an onion then added the spinach etc. My family made the suggestion of more meat and more cheese, I definately think more cheese. I also broiled mine after the 20 minute cook time to give it a nice brown top because I didn't do the egg wash either. I could see doing a scrambled egg, sausage, cheese one for a nice brunch. Great and versatile recipe. Thank you so much for posting.
- 2 loaves frozen French bread dough
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 lb hot pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 egg
- 10 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Allow the dough to thaw; cook the spinach according to the package directions; drain well.
- Brown the sausage and drain off the fat, add the onion and cook until onions are soft. Beat egg and add about 1/2 to the reserved spinach and save the rest to brush over top of bread.
- Working with one loaf of bread at a time, roll the bread into a rectangle about 9 x 13 inches. Spread half of the spinach, sausage, and mozzarella cheese over the dough and sprinkle with 1/2 of the parmesan cheese. Roll up jelly roll style starting on a long end. Seal all edges tightly so the stuffing remains inside.
- Place on baking sheet and pierce tops of bread loaves with a fork a few times. Brush with the egg and bake at 375°F for 20 minutes or until browned. Repeat the steps for the other loaf of bread.