Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a meaty spanish rice with lots of flavor. I never really liked most Spanish rice dishes because they seemed too bland until I ate a version of this one at a family reunion. I tweaked it so that it had lots of taste without the green peppers some people use because I have a son who hates them. If you like them feel free to add them to the dish.
- 1⁄2 lb of mild breakfast sausage (or spicier if you wish more bite)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- Cook sausage and crumble in small pieces and set aside.
- Cook bacon until crisp, drain then crumble into small pieces and add to the sausage.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the bacon drippings until golden, drain on paper towels, then add to meat mixture.
- In a large saucepan bring the water and tomato paste to a boil.
- Add the rice, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add meat mixture to rice mixing well and serve while still hot.
- You can double or triple this recipe easily then freeze the leftovers in ziplock freezer bags for quick sides to Mexican meals.
Made this for tonights supper, but thought it was a bit too salty. I did add more of the sausage, 1lb., plus I doubled the amount of cumin and chili powder (to spice it up a bit). I used an entire (6-ounce) can of tomato paste, as I didn't want to throw out the rest, but wished I would of added a can of tomatoes instead, as I much prefer bits of tomatoes in my Spanish Rice dishes. I also cut back on the amount of rice, and only added 1/2 cup, then cooked this for 30 minutes. If and when I make this again, I will eliminate the salt, make it with canned tomatoes, omit the tomato paste, and add some chopped green bell peppers, as I like them in my Spanish Rice Dishes as well. Thank you for the recipe Carrol.