Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Another satisfying and tasty soup I like to make.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 8 ounces frozen meat-filled tortellini or 8 ounces cheese tortellini
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- grated parmesan cheese
- Remove sausage from casing and brown in a 5-quart Dutch oven.
- Remove sausage; drain, reserving 1 T of the drippings in Dutch oven.
- Saute onions and garlic in drippings until onions are tender.
- Add beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano and tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 30 minutes.
- Skim fat from soup.
- Stir in tortellini, parsley and green pepper.
- Simmer covered an additional 35-40 minutes or until tortellini are tender.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of each serving.
This is a very hearty, satisfying soup. Instead of fresh tomatoes, I used a 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes. For the tortellini, I used fresh whole-wheat cheese tortellini. Other than those changes, everything else was as written. This will definitely be a repeat recipe this winter. Thanks for posting. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders Tag Game.
Very good. Used meat-filled tortellini and my family loved it. They want me to make it again.
We enjoyed this soup very much! Full of flavor, very filling and satisfying for a winter's evening. Thank you very much, Lainey!