Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A nice, healthy, wild rice soup with different veggies from your ordinary peas and carrots. This one is sort of Italian inspired. From Cooking Light.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 (16 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add wild rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour until rice is cooked. Set aside.
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until browned. Stir to crumble. Drain sausage and set aside.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat and saute onion 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add sausage, 3 cups water, tomato paste, oregano, basil, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simer 20 minutes.
- Stir in cooked wild rice, spinach, salt, and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and serve with Parmesan to sprinkle over.
I've been making this recipe for years now. I was going to post it and found that it was already here. I usually use a wild rice mix (Uncle Ben's or Carolina). I prepare that, set it aside, and add it at the end. I also like to add more than the 3 cups of fresh spinach. This is a definite keeper and a staple in our home.