Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Good on a cold day , great recipe!
- 1 lb Italian sausage, Mild
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 slices carrots
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder or 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon cube
- 8 ounces mixed chopped greens (radicchio, escarole, endive, kale, etc)
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 1 loaf Italian bread, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- In large stock pot over medium high heat, brown sausage. Chop with wooden spoon into small pieces while cooking. When sausage is about half cooked, add a tablespoon of olive oil to pot along with potatoes, onion, carrots, and celery. cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring a few times. then add vegetable stock powder or bouillon, salt (use less salt if using bouillon), and pepper. Add canellini beans and tomatoes (squeeze the tomatoes a little when adding) and fill the pot with cold water until it is about 4-5 inches above ingredients.Cook for 30 minutes. Add greens. Make sure greens are covered in water by pushing them under and allow everything to return to slow boil. This should take about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent bring, but don't over stir.
- While soup is cooking, place the cubes of Italian bread in a single layer on cookie sheet. Spray or drizzle lightly with olive oil. Season bread with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Bake in 425 degree preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until nice and crunchy. Remove and cool.
- When serving soup, ladle desired serving into a bowl, place some toasted bread pieces on top, and sprinkle with grated Romano cheese.