Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a really versatile soup recipe. Add other veges in season, omit the sausage to make a vegetable soup. As written, it's hearty and satisfying.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb smoked turkey sausage, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large boiling potato, diced
- 1 cup mushroom, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons parsley (or 1/2 c. fresh chopped)
- 1⁄2 head kale, shredded (substitute spinach if you prefer)
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in bottom of large soup pan. Sauté sausage and onion until onion is tender, and sausage is barely browned.
- Add all other ingredients, except kale. Simmer until just tender.
- Add kale, simmer until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Delicious! The soup was very satisfying for a meal. I used cabbage instead of kale, because that's what I had on hand, and I also used a nicely flavored smoked sausage with garlic that is made by a local butcher. In a recipe like this, I think the quality and flavor of the sausage really makes a difference. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. We'll definitely make this one again. Made for PAC Fall 2009.