Recipe by Random Rachel
I threw this together with stuff in my fridge, and it turned out great so I'm posting so I am posting it so I can make it again later :-) Quick, simple, and delicious. To make it thicker add more rice, or mash up the potatoes a little before serving. Feeds 4.
Top Review by Maryland Jim
This is a great soup! Made exactly as directed except I used brown rice, cause that was all I had!!
I think it could use a bit more broth but the flavor is fantastic. I will definitely make this again! Made for ZWT7 and the Saucy Silverado's.
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chicken (leftover or canned)
- 3 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- 1 lb sausage (such as kielbasa)
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons chicken base (or 2 cubes bullion)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vegetables into soup sized pieces. Cover with water, and bring to a boil. Boil 20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, brown sausage in the bottom of a soup pot. When it starts to get browned, or starts to stick, add 1/2 - 1 cup of water. The juices etc from the sausage is what flavors the soup. Add the chicken base, and the drained vegetables when they are done.
- You will need 2 -3 cups of additional liquid, you can use the water from the veggies of fresh. Add the liquid, and cooked chicken, bring to a boil.
- When it reaches a boil, add the rice. Simmer 5 minutes or so. Add salt, pepper, and possibly cajun seasoning blend to your tastes. (You may not need salt if you use bullion.).
- Remove from heat, allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.