Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I originally found this recipe over 20 years ago, in the first "Brand Name" cookbook that I ever saw. Our family has enjoyed this recipe many times over the years. It is quick and easy, and when my children were young it was one of their favorites. Yo can substitute some other flavor of cream soup.
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 3⁄4 cup converted rice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- In large skillet combine rice, sausage, soup, water and butter.
- Cover and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in peas and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with Swiss cheese.
- Simmer covered for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
This was very filling, I think that I used the wrong rice, as I had to add more water, but no matter it was still yummy, comfort food I think. It was a wee bit salty but that was my sausage, as I added no salt, but we like salty. I didn't put the cheese on as DH is not to keen on it, but otherwise you are right it is so easy and will be made again, and I would love the cheese on. Made for PAC spring 2009