Top Review by Amber of AZ
This type of dish is new to me, but since trying this recipe and other similar ones I have decided I like it. This recipe particular is really good. The apples and brown sugar add a nice sweetness. I think rasin bread would be good to dip in the juices. This time though I just dished up a serving of the recipe and ate as is. Also, I used turkey smoked sausage and found the dish savory and not "diet tasting". Thanks for a tasty and easy to prepare dinner.
- 1 lb fresh sauerkraut or 1 lb canned sauerkraut
- 1 lb smoked sausage (for a low-fat version) or 1 lb smoked turkey sausage (for a low-fat version)
- 3 tart cooking apples, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice or 3⁄4 cup cider
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse sauerkraut and squeeze dry.
- Cut sausage into 2-inch pieces.
- Put 1/2 the sauerkraut in the slow cooker.
- Add the sausage pieces on top.
- Continue to layer remaining ingredients in slow cooker in the order listed.
- Top with remaining sauerkraut.
- Do not stir the layers.
- Cook on high 4 hours, or low 6-7 hours.
- Stir before serving.