Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
- 1 lb fresh sauerkraut or 1 lb canned sauerkraut
- 1 lb smoked sausage (for a low-fat version) or 1 lb smoked turkey sausage (for a low-fat version)
- 3 tart cooking apples, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice or 3⁄4 cup cider
- Rinse sauerkraut and squeeze dry.
- Cut sausage into 2-inch pieces.
- Put 1/2 the sauerkraut in the slow cooker.
- Add the sausage pieces on top.
- Continue to layer remaining ingredients in slow cooker in the order listed.
- Top with remaining sauerkraut.
- Do not stir the layers.
- Cook on high 4 hours, or low 6-7 hours.
- Stir before serving.
This type of dish is new to me, but since trying this recipe and other similar ones I have decided I like it. This recipe particular is really good. The apples and brown sugar add a nice sweetness. I think rasin bread would be good to dip in the juices. This time though I just dished up a serving of the recipe and ate as is. Also, I used turkey smoked sausage and found the dish savory and not "diet tasting". Thanks for a tasty and easy to prepare dinner.
A real taste treat from the "old country". Found a little butcher shop that grinds their own authentic German sausage, and it really adds a full, rich flavor to this recipe. Great with a dark rye bread!
Wonderful, easy recipe! This smelled absolutely delicious when it was cooking. I served it with a side of German potato salad (recipe #27415) and my apple-cranberry crunch (recipe #132923) for dessert.