Recipe by ellie_
One night a week we like to have Sandwich Night with chips and salad and simple cookies for dessert served on paper plates. on Sandwich night we eat dinner while watching videos or something on tv. I thought these sandwiches would be great for Sandwich Night. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (April 2004)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 bell peppers, sliced into strips (using one red, one yellow or orange and one green will be pretty)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb kielbasa or 1 lb linguica sausage, cooked and cut in half lengthwise and cut crosswise into 6-inch long pieces
- 1 cup red wine
- 2⁄3 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- 1 baguette, halved lenthwise and cut crosswise into quarters
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over med high heat. Add onions and sauted for five minutes or until onions are soft. Stir in peppers and saute another 5 minutes or until pepper are lightly browned. Sprinkle with sugar and paprika and saute another minute. Transfer mixture to a plate but leave drippings in pan.
- Add remaining oil (1 tablespoon) to skillet and then add sausage and heat until browned and heated (5 minutes). Transfer sausage to plate with onions and peppers.
- Add wine to skillet and heat until reduced by half (3-5 minutes). Return sausage/pepper/onion mixture to sillet and stir in olives. Cook for 2-5 minutes or until heated through.
- Place baguette quarters on each of 4 plates and fill with sausage mixture, spooning juices over each.
- Serve and enjoy!