1/4 Photos of Sausage Sandwich (Italian Style)
Alan Leonetti's Note:
This is an authentic style Italian sausage sandwich, just like what you would have in Philadelphia or New York.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 mild Italian sausage or 4 hot Italian sausages
- 2 medium onions (cut in half & sliced)
- 1 green bell pepper (cored, seeded & sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (cored, seeded & sliced)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 cup white wine or 1/8 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls (submarine)
- 1 cup marinara sauce (see my recipe 84217)
- 1Poach raw sausages in 1/2 cup water in a covered skillet, simmering until almost done.
- 2This takes about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3Sautè onions and peppers with olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano 4 minutes on medium-high heat.
- 4Add the wine, cover and cook 4 minutes more.
- 5Uncover and cook until moisture is absorbed.
- 6On either a grill or in a skillet with a little extra-virgin olive oil, cook the poached sausages over medium-high heat 7 to 10 minutes, turning often to ensure even browning.
- 7In a large baking dish or pan, place the opened rolls.
- 8Fill the rolls with 1 sausage in each roll and evenly distribute the onions and peppers.
- 9Mix the 3 shredded cheeses and evenly sprinkle that on top.
- 10Place in oven, uncovered, on 400°F or until the cheese is melted.
- 11Remove from oven, top with some Marinara sauce, close the sandwiches and serve.
- 12NOTE: See my recipe for Marinara Sauce #84217.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Sandwich (Italian Style)
Serving Size: 1 (1155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.2
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 16.7 mg
- Sodium 1699.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 14.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mild Italian sausage