Recipe by Delicious Bits
When I was a 15 year old kid, my first job was working in the only Coffee Shop in town. One of the best things they sold were these sausage rolls. Every time I make these, everyone asks for the recipe. They're so tasty! Hope you enjoy them too. I find this recipe sometimes a bit greasy, you can avoid this by reducing the quantity of Sausage Mince (100g) and increasing the Beef Mince (400g).
Top Review by Catherine Robson
A really tasty sausage roll recipe that makes heaps. I made 12 large sausage rolls from the recipe as stated using 3 sheets of puff. There was a bit of liquid leakage when baking . I only needed 25 minutes cooking for these little beauties. Top recipe Delicious bits. 1st of 3 recipes made as part of PAC 2009.
- 250 g ground sausage
- 250 g beef mince
- 1 onion, finely diced (lightly fried until slightly softened)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 (375 g) packet frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved (approx. 2-4 sheets)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 -3 tablespoons sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 210 degrees celcius.
- Except for pastry, sesame seeds, egg and milk, mix all other ingredients well in a bowl.
- Mix egg and milk in a bowl and set aside.
- Place mince mix along the length of the pastry aprroximately an inch thick and roll into a long sausage roll. Seal opposite long edge with egg mix. Cut to preferred size - 2cm for scrolls, 6cm for party sausage rolls and half or thirds for regular sausage rolls, these are all approximate measurements, it depends on the length of the pastry.
- For sausage rolls, paint the top of the pastry with the egg mix and sprinkle with sesame seeds. For scrolls, paint one side with egg mix and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Can be frozen at this stage for later use. Thaw prior to baking.
- Place on a tray with grease proof paper and bake for 35-45 minutes.