Recipe by Jo Connolly
Sausage meet enclosed with Rough Puff Pastry, taken from the Be-Ro Flour Home Recipes 40th Edition Booklet.
- 8 ounces plain white flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 ounces lard, and
- margarine (mixed)
- cold water, to mix
- 8 ounces sausage meat or 8 ounces skinless sausages
- beaten eggs or milk, to glaze
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour and salt, add fat cut into small pieces.
- Stir in with a knife (do not rub in). Mix to a stiff dough with water.
- Roll out on a floured surface to a narrow strip.
- Fold in three, give a quarter turn so one of the open ends is towards you and roll out again. Do this three times.
- Cover pastry and leave to rest (about 15 minutes) then roll into desired shape. Usually oblong.
- In hot weather allow pastry to rest for 20-30 minutes in a refrigerator or cool place before use.
- Tip Always take care to roll away from you and do not break the air bubbles that will rise.
- Heat oven to 230 C, Gas Mk 8 Have ready a baking tray.
- Divide the pastry in two and roll each half to a long strip approximately 7.5 cm (3 inches) wide.
- Roll the sausage meat with floured hands into a sausage as long as the pastry strip, place on edges of pastry.
- Roll up pastry to enclose the meat, dampen the edge and seal well.
- Cut into lengths, place on the baking tray and brush with egg or milk and make 3 cuts on the top.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown.