1/1 Photo of Sausage, Roasted Red Pepper, and Spinach Torta Rustica
1 hr 20 mins
Shelby Jo's Note:
From Bon Appetit Magazine, December 2008. "This simple dish has a quiche-like filling and baguette slices for a crust."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 baguette, slices cut on slight diagonal 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/2 cups grated Fontina cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup diced drained roasted red pepper, from a jars
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 8x8 inch baking dish. Place 8 baguette slices in bottom of dish; press 2 baguette slices onto each side.
- 2Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add spinach, toss until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer spinach to strainer; cool. Squeeze spinach dry. Transfer to medium bowl.
- 3Heat same pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage, saute until cooked through, breaking up, about 7 minutes. Mix into spinach; mix in 1 cup cheese and peppers. Spread atop baguette slices in bottom of dish.
- 4Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend. Whisk in last 4 ingredients. Pour over spinach mixture and stir lightly with fork to distribute evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top.
- 5Bake torta until puffed up and golden and center is set, about 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage, Roasted Red Pepper, and Spinach Torta Rustica
Serving Size: 1 (3041 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3800.2
- Calories from Fat 668
- Total Fat 74.2 g
- Saturated Fat 28.1 g
- Cholesterol 329.0 mg
- Sodium 8703.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 635.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 37.7 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 135.7 g