Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Bon Appetit Magazine, December 2008. "This simple dish has a quiche-like filling and baguette slices for a crust."
- 16 baguette, slices cut on slight diagonal 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 ounces fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated Fontina cheese, divided
- 3⁄4 cup diced drained roasted red pepper, from a jars
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 8x8 inch baking dish. Place 8 baguette slices in bottom of dish; press 2 baguette slices onto each side.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large pot over medium-high heat. Add spinach, toss until just wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer spinach to strainer; cool. Squeeze spinach dry. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Heat same pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage, saute until cooked through, breaking up, about 7 minutes. Mix into spinach; mix in 1 cup cheese and peppers. Spread atop baguette slices in bottom of dish.
- Whisk eggs in medium bowl to blend. Whisk in last 4 ingredients. Pour over spinach mixture and stir lightly with fork to distribute evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over top.
- Bake torta until puffed up and golden and center is set, about 55 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest 15 minutes before serving.
Very good. We enjoyed this for dinner but it would also be good for a hearty brunch. The only step I changed was to brown the sausage and then I wilted the spinach over the sausage. We will be making again. Thank you for the recipe.
I have made this many times and it is always enjoyed by all.
Wonderful and easy to make. Made as directed and wouldn't change a thing. Thanks, Shelby Jo! Made for TYM Tag Game.