Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great recipe! VERY flavorful and family-friendly.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Italian sausage, cooked (combo of sweet and hot is the best!)
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) jar tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 12 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 12 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a heavy kettle cook onions and 3 cloves of garlic until softened. Add sausage and bell pepper and cook 2 minutes, breaking up sausage. Add tomato sauce and red wine and remaining garlic. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Lightly beat eggs. In a large bowl stir together eggs, ricotta, salt and pepper. Grate mozzarella.
- Pour 1 cup sauce into a baking dish, 13 by 9 by 2-inches (sauce will not cover bottom completely), and cover with 3 lasagne sheets, making sure they do not touch each other. Spread about 2 cups sauce over pasta. Drop 1/3 of ricotta mixture by spoonfuls onto sauce and gently spread with back of spoon. Sprinkle 1/4 of mozzarella over ricotta mixture. Make 2 more layers in the same manner, beginning and ending with pasta. Spread remaining sauce evenly over top, making sure pasta is completely covered, and sprinkle with Parmesan and remaining mozzarella.
- Cover dish tightly with foil, tenting slightly to prevent foil from touching top layer, and bake in middle of oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake lasagne 10 minutes more, or until top is bubbling and golden. Let lasagne stand 5 minutes before serving.
This is the best lasagna I have ever made. I have made it for a crowd and everyone absolutely loved it.
Very good. Hubby loved it. I'll use a bigger pan next time - I only got two layers of noodles in my pan. I think it was just to shallow. Check the directions on the eggs/cheese. They are a little confusing.