Recipe by Mama_Jennie
I was inspired by another recipe on this site that called for peas & mushrooms. Hubby is phobic to both of those ingredients so I came up with this recipe as a way around it. It draws more on my cooking background with the addition of onions, bell peppers, and celery. **NOTE** You can substitue Turkey sausage to lower the fat and also substitute low sodium soup to bring down the sodium in the recipe.
Top Review by Brenna O.
I gave this 5 stars although I altered the recipe...a lot! I did the onions, bell peppers and celery as stated. Added celery seed (herb/spice) to them. Had regular brauts and cooked as stated. Rice: I had regular brown rice in which I put in a rice cooker with chicken broth an hour ahead. Then I added it to the mix. I only had cream of chicken....hence the celery seed addition. Did 1/2c of chicken broth and I had mild cheddar cheese. It was fabulous :) thank you for the ideas!
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb fresh sausage (I use bratwurst)
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a skillet and add the celery. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add the bell pepper. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes then add the onion. Cook this until onion is starting to turn translucent or become soft.
- Remove casings from sausages and add the ground pork/sausage to the skillet with the onion mixture and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the rice, mixing thoroughly into the sausage mixture and then add in the soup, chicken stock, & water.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and allow rice to cook. This should take around 15-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 3/4 of cheese and mix all together. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 of cheese on top let stand for 5 minutes.
- NOTE: I've only made this with Cream of Celery soup. From what I understand Cream of Mushroom will not work per original recipe's author. The Cream of Celery soup is essential to the flavor.