1/1 Photo of Sausage & Rice Skillet
I was inspired by another recipe on this site that called for peas & mushrooms. Hubby is phobic to both of those ingredients so I came up with this recipe as a way around it. It draws more on my cooking background with the addition of onions, bell peppers, and celery. **NOTE** You can substitue Turkey sausage to lower the fat and also substitute low sodium soup to bring down the sodium in the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb fresh sausage (I use bratwurst)
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1Heat oil in a skillet and add the celery. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add the bell pepper. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes then add the onion. Cook this until onion is starting to turn translucent or become soft.
- 2Remove casings from sausages and add the ground pork/sausage to the skillet with the onion mixture and cook until no longer pink.
- 3Add the rice, mixing thoroughly into the sausage mixture and then add in the soup, chicken stock, & water.
- 4Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and allow rice to cook. This should take around 15-20 minutes.
- 5Sprinkle with 3/4 of cheese and mix all together. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 of cheese on top let stand for 5 minutes.
- 6NOTE: I've only made this with Cream of Celery soup. From what I understand Cream of Mushroom will not work per original recipe's author. The Cream of Celery soup is essential to the flavor.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage & Rice Skillet
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 751.3
- Calories from Fat 475
- Total Fat 52.8 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 104.8 mg
- Sodium 1844.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 25.5 g