2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In '1,000 Italian Recipes' by Michele Scicolone
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb plain Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 lbs fresh plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (or 28 oz. can imported Italian peeled tomatoes with their juice, passed through a food mill)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3 -4 fresh basil leaves, torn into bits
- 1Remove the sausage from the casings.
- 2Chop the meat finely.
- 3In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 4Add the sausage meat and the garlic.
- 5Cook, stirring often, until the pork is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- 6Add the wine and bring to a simmer.
- 7Cook until most of the wine evaporates.
- 8Stir in the tomatoes and salt/pepper to taste.
- 9Bring to a simmer.
- 10Decrease heat to low.
- 11Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 12Stir in the basil just before.
- 13Serve hot over cooked hot pasta.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Ragu (Ragu Di Salsiccia)
Serving Size: 1 (328 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.5
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 925.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 16.5 g