Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from emeril live, its really good. It can be eaten with penne or with a cheese filled ravioli.
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch sugar
- Add sausage and cook, stirring, until brown and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes.
- Add the onions, garlic, crushed red pepper salt, basil, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, cream, and sugar, and stir well.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick and the flavors are blended, about 30 minutes, adding water as necessary to keep from getting too thick.
Wow. This Ragu is AMAZING. Thank you Emeril! I made it with homemade fettuccini last week and am making it today to incorporate into some lasagne for a dinner party. DE-LISH!
This was really good. Even my dh, who doesn't really like pasta enjoyed this. I used turkey sausage and left out the dry red wine and also the tomato paste. Turned out just fine without. Will definetly have again.
A winner from Emeril for sure! I used turkey sausage to cut back on the fat for me and since there was no fat to drain, decided to just throw it all in a crock pot. It cooked on low for about 7 hours and the house smelled wonderful! It was pretty spicy for me so I mixed one more 8 oz can of tomato sauce to tone it down. I also increased the sugar from a pinch to about 1 teaspoon. I served it on ziti pasta.