- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Add sausage and cook, stirring, until brown and the fat is rendered, about 4 minutes.
- Add the onions, garlic, crushed red pepper salt, basil, oregano and black pepper, and cook, stirring, until soft, 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, wine, cream, and sugar, and stir well.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick and the flavors are blended, about 30 minutes, adding water as necessary to keep from getting too thick.