Recipe by Chris from Kansas
This is a great hot appetizer recipe. I made this for a dinner party and everyone loved it. I have even made it using reduced fat ingredients and it is still very tasty. It is from Taste of Home magazine and is credited to Linda Wheeler.
Top Review by Cooking Colleen
This was good! The seasonings are just right. The family praised it and ate it up - I used a bit more cheese (I can't get enough cheese on anything) so that extended my cooking time about 5 minutes. I have picky onions eaters so next time I will probably mix the onions and green chilies in with the meat (vs. layering it), so the texture is more muted.
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 10 eggs
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- Place in a greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Layer with cheeses, onion and chilies.
- In a bowl, beat eggs and seasonings; pour over cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 18-22 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; cut into 1-inch squares.