Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
From 'Real Simple' magazine.
- 3⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casings removed
- 2 jalapenos, minced (with seeds)
- 12 corn muffins or 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages cornbread mix, prepared and crumbled (10 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 14 ounces chicken broth or 14 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh sage or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried sage
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage and jalapenos, breaking up the meat and cooking until it is no longer pink; drain the fat.
- Add the cornbread.
- Fold in the pumpkin, broth, cranberries, and sage (Can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- For drier stuffing, omit the broth.
My family loves stuffing (we call it dressing!) and we loved this dish. The flavors are just perfect for fall. I had to use hot Italian sausage since that was all my grocery store had but it made no difference to us because it was delicious. There is a very pronounced pumpkin taste that is wonderful. I served this with roasted chicken and roasted broccoli and it was like a mini Thanksgiving. I'm glad I picked this recipe for the Pick Your Chef contest. Thanks, GinnyP.
This was very good!! I made it as written and it did have a little more heat than I expected. If I make it again I would probably only add 1 jalapeno. But we loved it as written.
Great stuffing substituted raisins for the cranberries. A hit with the everyone.