Recipe by GinnyP
From 'Real Simple' magazine.
Top Review by AngelicFantasia
My family loves stuffing (we call it dressing!) and we loved this dish. The flavors are just perfect for fall. I had to use hot Italian sausage since that was all my grocery store had but it made no difference to us because it was delicious. There is a very pronounced pumpkin taste that is wonderful. I served this with roasted chicken and roasted broccoli and it was like a mini Thanksgiving. I'm glad I picked this recipe for the Pick Your Chef contest. Thanks, GinnyP.
- 3⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casings removed
- 2 jalapenos, minced (with seeds)
- 12 corn muffins or 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages cornbread mix, prepared and crumbled (10 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
- 14 ounces chicken broth or 14 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh sage or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried sage
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage and jalapenos, breaking up the meat and cooking until it is no longer pink; drain the fat.
- Add the cornbread.
- Fold in the pumpkin, broth, cranberries, and sage (Can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- For drier stuffing, omit the broth.