Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious, hearty breakfast for your family. You can use mild Italian sausage for this dish, if you like a little less spice in the morning
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed 1/2-inch in size
- 6 large eggs
- 2 shallots, diced finely
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Add the peeled and cut potatoes to pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, cook the sausage pieces over medium heat in a medium size pan(has to be heat resistant, including handle) for 8 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Do not drain pan!
- Add shallot to pan and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occassionally with wooden spoon, scraping sides and bottom of pan.
- Add potatos and sausage back to pan and heat for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, while the sausage and potatoes are heating, whisk eggs, salt, pepper, parsley and milk in a medium bowl for 30 seconds.
- Add mixture to pan after sausage and potato mixture are finished heating.
- Cook for 3 minutes, scraping only sides of pan.
- Let cook for an additional 6 minutes on low flame without disrupting the mixture.
- Put oven on and set to Broil.
- Add cheese to top of mixture and place in oven on top rack and broil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven with oven mitts and let stand for 5 minutes to cool.
- Serve while hot.