Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
A wonderful meal served with crusty rolls on a cold day.
- 3 lbs Italian sausages (can use more)
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 bell peppers, chopped (use red or green)
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, cut into samll cubes
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 small zucchini, cut into cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or 4-quart saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in sausages and cook until brown on all sides, turning occasionally (this should take about 25 minutes) transfer to a plate, cool slightly then slice into about 1-inch pieces.
- Add on onions with chili flakes, oregano, basil and marjoram; saute for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add in bell peppers and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in wine; boil 1 minute.
- Add in tomatoes, potatoes, broth and tomato paste; cook stirring occasionally until the potatoes are JUST tender (about 15 minutes) season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in sausages back to the pot with chopped zucchini; cook for abother 20 minutes or until the zucchini is firm-tender.
- Add in the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese; mix to combine.