Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Kind of like a quiche, but has the flavors of pizza.
- 1 (8 ounce) package refrigerated reduced-fat crescent rolls
- 1 lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease/spray a pie dish.
- Unroll crescent dough and scatter triangles in the pie dish. Spread dough around bottom and halfway up the sides with fingers and press seems together to form a crust in the pie plate; set aside.
- In a skillet, brown the sausage with the garlic, onions, and green pepper. Cook, breaking up sausage with a spatula until no longer pink. Drain off fat.
- Place cooked, drained sausage mixture over crescent dough crust.
- Top with the drained mushrooms.
- Evenly pour the tomato sauce over top.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, oregano, basil and salt (to taste). Evenly pour over cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until set.
Very good. I omitted the mushrooms, as I didn't have any on hand. I had to keep an eye on the crust after 35 min, because it seemed to be getting just a bit too brown. I did need the full baking time for the eggs to set. :)
Very yummy. I made no changes to the recipe, except that we only had non-fat milk and I used sweet peppers instead of green (ok, a couple of changes). DH really liked it, and thought I put more work into it than I actually did.