Recipe by SouthernBell2627
This recipe is from "The Mississippi Cookbook." Recipe submitted by Mrs. J.T. Kerr of Rolling Fork, MS.
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb highly seasoned sausage
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients together; cut in shortening.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture; pour in milk.
- Mix lightly with spoon, keeping dough as soft as can be handled.
- Turn out on board and knead about 1 minute.
- Roll dough to thickness of cookies; spread with sausage.
- Roll up like a jelly roll.
- Wrap in waxed paper and chill for several hours.
- Remove wrap, slice in 1/4-inch (or less) slices and bake on shallow sheet 25 to 30 minutes at 325 degrees.