Recipe by Gramma Peg
Got this from a friend about 40 years ago. We use it quite often for guest breakfasts, brunches and even camping. It is a hit with children.
Top Review by chef kristin #2
THIS WAS FANTASTIC! Followed the recipe to a T, and it was PERFECT! hubby ATE. IT. UP. the kids loved it! i loved it... it changed my husband from a sausage-hating fiend into a hungry-sausage-eating-fan :) Even my self-proclaimed vegetarian (6yo) child ate around the sausage and LOVED it all. I'd give it 50 stars if i could - delish!
- 1 lb sausage
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) box cornbread mix or 1 (7 1/2 ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 1⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- maple syrup or honey or molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- Pan fry sausage to desired doneness.
- Drain grease.
- Use a small amount of the grease to grease the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Spoon sausage over bottom to the dish and arrange the drained pineapple over it.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over all.
- Prepare corn bread or muffin mix as directed on box and spread over ingredients in dish.
- Bake at 400°F for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut into serving pieces and drench with syrup.