Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an old Italian family recipe that has been handed down for three generations. Recipe makes 2-10" pies.
- 3 lbs bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 3 lbs ricotta cheese
- 7 eggs
- 8 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb grated mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 8 eggs
- 1 egg, beaten
- To make filling-.
- In a large pan, brown sausage meat until no longer pink. Place in colander and rinse with water to remove excess fat. Drain well and cool.
- In a large bowl, mix ricotta and eggs until well blended. Add grated cheese, mozzarella and parsley. Add cooled sausage meat. Mix well and set aside while making crust.
- To make crust-.
- Mix flour, margarine and 8 eggs until dough is formed. Knead a few minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Divide dough into four pieces. Roll out each piece large enough to fit a 10" pie plate. Fill pie shells with sausage filling and cover with top crust. Seal top and bottom crust with beaten egg; pinch and seal crust. Brush top of pies with beaten egg and bake at 350F for 50 minutes. Pie should be deep golden brown.
- This pie tastes best served at room temperature or chilled. (Do not re-heat in microwave, pie becomes watery).
i followed this recipe to the letter. The crust held up nice, but definately lacking something. maybe spices