Recipe by Rita~
This is sweet and hot! I sometimes add a jalapeno for my husband. He's just a hot guy!
Top Review by Renee Redman
I loved this recipe! Nice change of pace when you're craving Italian but don't want to do pasta. I also adjusted the recipe a bit for my family of 4- cutting most ingredients to about 1/2 but I left the garlic, seasoning and cheese alone. Hot Italian sausage is the way to go for us. Gives it the kick it needs. YUM. Thanks for the recipe!
- 3 lbs hot Italian sausage or 3 lbs sweet Italian sausage links
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 red bell peppers or 3 yellow bell peppers or 3 green peppers, cut into strips
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 8 italian sandwich buns, split
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sausage in 350 degree oven and brown for 30 minutes.
- Drain grease.
- Add garlic, onions, peppers, crushes tomatoes and paste.
- Stir in seasoning and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 more minutes.
- Toast rolls fill with sausage, peppers and onions.
- Top with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle parmesan cheese.
- Place under broiler till bubble and lightly browned.