Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is sweet and hot! I sometimes add a jalapeno for my husband. He's just a hot guy!
- 3 lbs hot Italian sausage or 3 lbs sweet Italian sausage links
- 3 onions, sliced
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 red bell peppers or 3 yellow bell peppers or 3 green peppers, cut into strips
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 8 italian sandwich buns, split
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- Place sausage in 350 degree oven and brown for 30 minutes.
- Drain grease.
- Add garlic, onions, peppers, crushes tomatoes and paste.
- Stir in seasoning and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 10 more minutes.
- Toast rolls fill with sausage, peppers and onions.
- Top with 2 cups of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle parmesan cheese.
- Place under broiler till bubble and lightly browned.
I loved this recipe! Nice change of pace when you're craving Italian but don't want to do pasta. I also adjusted the recipe a bit for my family of 4- cutting most ingredients to about 1/2 but I left the garlic, seasoning and cheese alone. Hot Italian sausage is the way to go for us. Gives it the kick it needs. YUM. Thanks for the recipe!
These are great and so easy! I cut down the ingredients a bit by using 2 lb of sausage, 1 onion, 2 bell peppers and 2 cups tomatoes, but added the jalapeno as suggested and still had more than enough for six sandwiches! I also cooked the sausage and up to step 5 on top of the stove in a big skillet without any problems and used a bit more mozzarella (about double) and no parmesan. Thanks for sharing!
So good and so easy! Will definitely make this again.