Recipe by Joanne
My Grandfather Joey used to make these sandwiches, they were so good. But they are even better on toasted garlic bread! Note: You can mix sweet and hot sausage, or all hot.
- 2 lbs sweet Italian sausage, sliced into 4 inch rounds (keep frozen until ready to slice, makes it much easier to slice)
- 2 red peppers, washed, cored, seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 green bell peppers, washed, cored, seeded and sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the toasted garlic bread
- 2 loaves fresh Italian bread, each loaf cut in 3 equal size pieces, then sliced the bread in half horizontally
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put potatoes in pot of cold salted water over med/high heat. Bring to boil then cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In large deep saute pan over med heat, add sausage, season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until sausage are golden brown stirring occasionally.
- Add peppers, onions, potatoes, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- For Garlic Bread:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a small sauce pan over med heat, add olive oil, butter and garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, add Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Spread the garlic mixture evenly on all sides the bread with a pastry brush or spoon. Put the halves together and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Place bread in the oven and bake for 5 minutes, open foil and bake for additional 5 minutes.
- Pile the sausage, peppers, onions and potatoes into the garlic bread and serve.