Recipe by Dib's
A hearty dish for a cold winters night that will feed a crowd! Use all sweet or all hot sausage if you prefer.
Top Review by Debbb
Delicious! This recipe was very easy to prepare & very filling. My husband HATES leftovers but took this casserole in his lunch for 3 days after I made it!! I used meatless spaghetti sauce & turkey sausage. I had to use ziti because I didn't have any spaghetti on hand & after 30 minutes, it seemed like the pasta was drying out. So, I poured some plain tomato sauce on the casserole & sprinkled with a mixture of cheddar & mozzarella for the last 15 minutes of baking time.
- pasta dough or 1 lb spaghetti
- 3 cups Perruso's spaghetti and meatballs sauce (or your own recipe)
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link, casings removed
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3 green peppers, cored,seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and skiced lengthwise
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a 13x9 baking dish.
- In a large stockpot boil salted water.
- Prepare pasta if using fresh and boil for 4 minutes OR boil the dry pasta for 10 minutes.
- For either drain when done and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Meanwhile cook sausage over medium heat, around 8 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and add to spaghetti.
- Add bell peppers to drippings and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to pasta and toss well.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Serve with a green salad and bread sticks.