Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my variation of Sausage Breakfast Muffins (OAMC). I am one who likes lots of "stuff" in my breakfast muffins, but the above is a great base. You can halve or double the recipe easily.
- 6 cups Bisquick
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 8 eggs
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 lbs sausage links, crumbled and cooked
- 5 cups shredded cheese
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 onions, chopped
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine Bisquick, cornmeal, eggs and milk.
- Add sausage and milk, mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Grease muffin pans with cooking spray.
- Do not use liners as the muffins will stick.
- Fill muffin cups almost to the top.
- Bake regular sized muffins for 15-18 mins.
- Bake mini muffins 9-12 minutes.
I made a half batch and wasn't too pleased with the outcome of these muffins. The main problem that I had with them is that I found that I could taste the cornmeal. If it wasn't for the cornmeal taste I think I would have given these a higher rating.
I doubt that I will try this recipe again.
I need to start by saying that I made just 6 muffins which may have changed the overall outcome. Ok, that said, I had a LOT of goodies (peppers, sausage and cheese) in each muffin. I also cut the fat by using E-Z Low Fat Bisquick Mix for the Bisquick, skim milk and veggie sausage. They taste great and would be a good accompaniment to breakfast, lunch or dinner. I think I'll add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes next time :D.
I made 1/8 amount of this recipe (for 9 muffins) and got 4 jumbo muffins from our jumbo muffin tin. Super simple to put together, I made as directed using cheddar cheese and no green bell peppers (we only had red). The directions and time to bake are spot on and the texture of the finished muffins is moist, fluffy, and muffiny. We were a bit dissapointed in the flavor though, as with all the ingredients, it seemed lacking in 'something'. I (Bird) put some butter on mine, and that wasn't it. My thoughts were whirling with corn, a bit of sugar maybe? Overall, we liked these muffins, but we wish we could figure out what they're missing to get the yum effect. :/