2 hrs 25 mins
My FIL used to make this bread. It may be a bit labor intensive, but it is soooo tasty. It can also be made in advance and frozen before baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook sausage and pepper until sausage is brown breaking up the meat as you go along.
- 2Drain and set aside to cool.
- 3Pour warm water into large bowl, stir in yeast until dissolved.
- 4Proof 10 minutes.
- 5Add sugar, salt, seasoning, butter, 1 egg and 2 cups flour.
- 6Beat until smooth then gradually add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- 7Knead for about 10 minutes.
- 8Place in a greased bowl, turn to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled about 1 hour.
- 9Punch down dough and divide into 6 pieces.
- 10Roll each piece into a 14" x 4" strip.
- 11Stir cheese into sausage mixture then spoon down the center of each strip.
- 12Seal long edges of strips together to form a 14" rope.
- 13Braid 3 ropes together and seal.
- 14Place loaves on greased baking sheet, cover and let rise until doubled about 45 minutes.
- 15Beat remaining egg and brush on loaves.
- 16Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.
- 17Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage & Pepper Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1798 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1980.7
- Calories from Fat 622
- Total Fat 69.2 g
- Saturated Fat 35.0 g
- Cholesterol 406.9 mg
- Sodium 3230.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 241.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 94.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: