Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is quick and easy and makes a great weeknight meal when you may be short on time. I especially like to make this during the summer when the vegetables are so fresh and really add a lot of flavor to the dish. I got this from a locally produced cookbook. I hope you like it as much as my family does!
- 1 lb Italian sausage or 1 lb hot sausage, sliced 1-inch thick
- 1 medium onion, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 large green pepper, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄4 lbs tiny new potatoes, cut in 3/4 inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- My personal preference is to remove the casing. Brown sausage on all sides in deep 12-inch skillet for about 10 minutes. Drain off all but 2 T drippings.
- Stir in onion, peppers, potatoes, water and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
This was delicious and SO very easy to make. We had it for lunch today, and we were all surprised how flavorful it was. I really like that it used so few ingredients and was so quick from pan to plate. I chose this recipe for the ZWT8 ~Great Backyard Barbie Challenge ~Australia/New Zealand in the Gluten Free forum because it is gluten-free as is, with the caveat of choosing a gluten-free sausage to use. So many times fillers are used in the making of sausage, so I purchased a hot italian sausage and checked with the butcher that it was gluten-free! For the challenge I made the recipe as-is, and also include here the changes I would make for the barbie: slice the sausage, peppers, onion and potatoes into 1-inch pieces. Alternate the sausage and vegetables on skewers (metal or water-soaked wooden skewers) and brush with olive oil to coat. Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper and grill until sausage is cooked through and veggies are browned. Thanks for posting Lainey! Made for the ZWT8 ~Great Backyard Barbie Challenge and the Herbacouse Curvaceous Honeys!
I made this with HOT Italian sausage, cubed...(righteous heat!) Also added some Mexican peppers along with the green peppers. What a taste delight! How easy! Who knew? I will definitely make this recipe again and again.... It's a true keeper! Thanks, Lainey for an incredible quick-fix delicious meal! And congratulations for winning the football pool! (Go Steelers!)
I used 2 red bell peppers. And I used mild italian sausages. It's easy to do. The taste is very good. DH loved it. Thanks Lainey :) Made for ZWT8 for Diners, Winers and Chives