Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
The Italian herbs consists of thyme, sage, rosemary, oregano, basil, parsley, marjoram which you can mix as you like or buy store prepared mixes.
- 3 sweet bell peppers, sliced use any color
- 1 hot pepper, sliced
- 4 onions, sliced
- 6 -8 sausage links
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs, dried or 3 tablespoons fresh herbs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large Dutch oven place peppers onions, sausage and bake covered for 1 hour.
- Place on stove top removing sausage and set aside.
- To the peppers and onions and juices (there will be lots of liquid) add the remaining ingredients and simmer till a thick consistency.
- Meanwhile slice sausage lengthwise.
- When sauce is to desired thickness and the sausage to reheat and serve over pasta or on a fresh roll.
Such an easy and satisfying recipe. The sauce comes out a little thinner than I prefer for pasta, but it's just right for sausage sandwiches. A definite keeper!
Rita this was an excellant meal. I served it over pasta. It was so good that I didn't even add any grated cheese for garnish. I used a jalapeno pepper and orange and yellow sweet peppers, sweet and hot n spicy Italian sausages and dried herbs. This was very easy to put together and tasted great. I loved that the cooking method brought out all the natural sweetness in the peppers and onions and the sausage was perfectly cooked. We enjoyed this very much and will make again often. Thanks so much for sharing.