1/1 Photo of Sausage, Pepper and Onion Hoagies
Well, I think the title of this speaks of itself-YUMMY! How could you go wrong?! Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! Since the igredients are very italian in style, I have chosen ZWT REGION: Italy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 3/4 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and thinly sliced (light green mild Italian peppers)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 -3 jarred hot cherry peppers or 2 -3 banana peppers or 2 -3 pepperoncini peppers, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons hot pepper juice, from the jar
- 4 submarine rolls, crunchy
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, 1/2 a handful (or 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, thyme, parsley)
- 1Place the sausages in a large nonstick skillet. Pierce the casings with a fork. Add 1-inch water to the pan. Bring liquid to a boil. Cover sausages, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- 2Heat a second skillet over medium high heat. Add oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add garlic, onion, cubanelle and red peppers. Season vegetables with salt and pepper.
- 3Drain sausages and return pan to stove, raising heat back to medium high. Add a drizzle of oil to the skillet, brown and crisp the casings. Remove sausages, slice into 2 inch pieces on an angle and set pieces back into the pan to sear.
- 4Split and toast the bread under broiler.
- 5Melt oil, butter together in small pan over medium heat. Add garlic and let it sizzle 1 or 2 minutes.
- 6Brush rolls with garlic butter and sprinkle with a little dried Italian seasoning blend.
- 7Combine the cooked peppers and onions to the sausages. Add hot peppers and hot pepper juice to the skillet.
- 8Toss and turn the sausage, peppers and onions, picking up all the drippings from the pan. Pile the meat and peppers into the garlic sub rolls and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage, Pepper and Onion Hoagies
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 634.6
- Calories from Fat 445
- Total Fat 49.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.9 g
- Cholesterol 96.9 mg
- Sodium 1595.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 31.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hot pepper juice
dried Italian seasoning