Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this recipe in the back of the 2012 edition of Eat This, Not That! by David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding, which I checked out of the library. I am a big fan of this book series, and the recipes that I have made from them have been really tasty. This recipe could be easily tailored to taste by substituting any vegetables, or made vegetarian by taking out the meat. I personally don't care for sun-dried tomatoes, so I chop up a Roma tomato or halve several cherry tomatoes and throw them in when I add the goat cheese.
- 12 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces chicken sausage or 8 ounces turkey sausage, uncooked and casing removed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced into half moons
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato, oil-packed (or reconstituted in hot water)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup goat cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until just al dente.
- While the water heats and the pasta cooks, heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and saute until cooked all the way through, about 5 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan and put it on a plate.
- Put the onion and the garlic in the saute pan, and cook for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the zucchini and cook until lightly carmelized, about 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, the stock, and the reserved sausage and keep warm until the pasta is ready.
- Drain the pasta and add it directly to the pan with the sausage and vegetables.
- Cook together for 30 seconds, turn off the heat, and sprinkle on the cheese just before serving.