Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is one of my family's favorite dishes when its just the immediate family, and when we have guests. There is hardly ever any leftovers. If you like sausage, you'll love this. (And if you don't, then you might just be persuaded to like it now) :)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage (crumbled)
- 1 small red onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 bay leaves (whole)
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (36 ounce) can tomatoes (chopped or diced with juice)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese (grated) or 1 cup romano cheese (grated)
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until fat has rendered and juices have evaporated (~ 8-10 min).
- Add Onion, garlic, bay leaves, rosemary, red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is golden brown (~ 20-25 min).
- Drain off all fat from meat. put back into pan. Turn the heat to high, add the wine, and boil until it evaporates (~ 3-5 min).
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the sauce thickens (~ 30-40 min). Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- *****Here you can refrigerate the sauce and heat at a later time/date with the cream and cheese******.
- Add the cream and half the cheese to the sauce and stir together. Season to taste with the salt a pepper.
- Meanwhile, boil a large pot of water, add salt and penne and cook until al dente (~10-12 min).
- Drain pasta, place it in pot with the sauce and stir until the pasta is covered. Place on a platter, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and serve immediately.