Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this at work today, the original recipe I was given uses an Italian style smoked sausage, I used kransky which was great. It suggested to cook the pumpkin in the rice, I chose to oven bake it until tender, them ix it gently through at the end.
- 3 sausages
- 250 g pumpkin, diced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons oil (extra)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock, boiling
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted under running water
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cream
- fresh ground black pepper
- Cook sausages in pan or on grill, cool a little, then slice.
- Preheat oven to moderate.
- Rub diced pumpkin in a little oil, then bake until tender.
- Heat extra oil in a large skillet, then add onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the rice and stir until all the rice grains are coated with the oil.
- Add the wind and cook, stirring until all the wine has been absorbed.
- Add all the stock, stir well and place into a baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Add the cooked sliced sausages, peas, parmesan cheese, cream and pepper and stir gently but well.
- Add the cooked pumpkin and mix through very gently.
- Cover and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
A recipe which takes all the sweat out of risotto?? Blasphemy! But very delicious, creamy blasphemy... this is really a yummy dinner! Would be great for a winter night, so of course I made it on a hot summer one. I halved this and served with a salad and got three generous portions out of it. I followed the recipe exactly, using the spiciest Italian sausage I could get my hands on and lite cream. Simple and foolproof - thanks Jan and happy travelling!