Recipe by Lainey6605
I like this rich sauce served over bow-tie pasta or penne.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
Because we like to see our veggies in the sauce, we chose to skip the puree step, and we put cayenne only in individual portions because I'm so sensitive to it. Having taken those liberties, the sauce is fantastic, rich and full of good flavors. Made for OZ/NZ Swap #20, September 2008.
- 2 lbs bulk Italian sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 6 -8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs uncooked bow tie pasta or 1 1⁄2 lbs penne
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions, peppers and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, brown sugar and seasonings.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, process tomato mixture in batches until smooth. Return to the pan.
- Add sausage, heat through. Gradually stir in cream. Cook and stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Drain pasta; top with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.