Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Saw this on an episode of Pioneer Woman and sounds like so much fun and something my family would really like. Pancakes and sausage all in a fun little package. Food.com won't accept Special equipment: chopsticks a must have; so I'm putting it here. This was a big hit with my DGSs when I made them.
- 16 breakfast sausage links, cooked
- 3 cups pancake mix
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 whole egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups water
- canola oil, for frying
- warm pancake syrup, for serving
- Add the eggs, vanilla and water, adding more water as needed for the batter to become slightly thick (but not overly gloopy.) Start out by adding 1 cup, then work your way up to 3 cups or more.
- Heat some canola oil in a large pot over medium-high heat to about 350 degrees F. Drop in a bit of batter to see if it's ready; the batter should immediately start to sizzle but should not immediately brown/burn.
- Insert chopsticks into the cooked breakfast sausages so that they're two-thirds of the way through. Dip the sausages into the batter and allow any excess to drip off for a couple of seconds. Carefully drop into the oil (stick and all) and use tongs or a spoon to make sure it doesn't hit the bottom of the pan and stick. Flip it here and there to ensure even browning, and remove it from the oil when the outside is deep golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve with warm pancake syrup.